Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Joy of Seeing

Well, the time has come to have a consult for cataract surgery. I'm scheduled to see the surgeon next week to explore options and decide if I'm ready, but my regular eye doctor told me last month that there isn't much more that new eyeglasses will do and if I have the surgery I might not need glasses at all. That sounds pretty exciting since I've been wearing glasses since third grade!
     I was talking with a friend last week about when I first realized I couldn't see well. The teacher was giving a quiz and instead of just leaving blank spaces for us to fill in, she randomly wrote the answers on the blackboard. I knew the answers to the test, but when I looked up,at the board, I couldn't see George Washington because it was on the far side of the room. Being me, I couldn't just raise my hand and tell her, but instead started crying because I couldn't see. She notified my Mom and I was later taken to the eye doctor for the first time. It was great to be able to see clearly.



    Over the years, I've had numerous changes to my prescription as my sight has grown weaker. Of course, for vanity's sake I gave contact lenses a try, but couldn't tolerate them because of dry eyes. I remember the shock about fifteen or more years ago when a student doctor was doing my initial eye exam and exclaimed "A cataract!"- I guess it was the first time she had actually seen one outside the classroom.  Dr John came in and told me it was in the early stages and not a concern, and I have been doing fine until recently.
     I have noticed I'm not as comfortable driving at night on unfamiliar roads. I have not seen people or animals along the side of the road until I was close to them which kind of scared me. Also when driving on major highways I sometimes don't see signs for my turnoff until I'm almost on top of them.   So when the doctor said it's time for surgery I was a bit relieved. Just last week, realizing I would be out of town late at night I reserved a hotel room rather that try to drive home. I'm glad it was only a mile away from the event I was attending, because I had difficulty locating the driveway. I don't think I would have made it back home at night.
  I am grateful for the ability to see, to drive, to be independent and want to continue to be all that for as long as I can.Yeah, I know there's always a risk with any surgery and maybe I'll still need glasses for some things. but the idea of being able to travel more comfortably is a big motivation to get it done. Wish me well.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment